Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm upset

I know lots of people get diagnosed with lung cancer every day. It doesn't make it any easier when it happens to someone close to you. The wife of one of my best friends just got the news. She woke up one morning and had some problems catching her breath. She hadn't had symptoms to speak of prior to that and even when the xray showed some fluid in her left lung (they couldn't see the right one at the podunk hospital that took the first set of xrays) she figured that she had contracted pneumonia.

Off she went to a bigger, more competent hospital only to find that her right lung was totally collapsed from the fluid in her pleural cavity. The fluid they drained contained cancerous cells.

As of yet she hasn't been told cell type or whether the cells are hormone sensitive or what her treatment options are.

Her husband, my friend is focusing on supporting her and taking care of their dogs and parrots and keeping their farm together.

I can't imagine how he'll be without her. Cast adrift is how I imagine it will be.

Sometimes there are couples that just seem to complete each other and that's how I see them.

Not only because he's my friend, but because I think his life before her was pretty unfocused, if she doesn't make it I am worried about him. I know I'm jumping the gun here on her fate but it seems to me that whatever this cancer is, it must be pretty aggressive to have done what it did with so little warning. I can't stop thinking about them. I'm afraid for them both.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

((prom)) I'm so sorry. You're such a dear friend and they're both blessed to have you there to help them through this (spoken from a much smaller, and yet very powerful experience).

It does seem tragic to think that he may have to cope without someone who has such meaning to him; to you both.

Hoping it all ends well.....

J.

3:12 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

I'm so sorry about your friend and his wife. News like that is always shocking. I do hope all ends well.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your friend's wife.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer In May of 2005. This is a very aggresive type of lung cancer with a median survival rate of 12 months, with treatment.

They will need all your support as they go through this time. It's a tough road but half the fight is staying positive and fighting it for all it's worth!

My prayers are with you, you friend, his wife and their family.
P

10:22 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

How very sad! Don't give up on your friend's wife just yet. One of the most important things you can do for a cancer patient is to believe in them and their chances for survival. If nothing else, sometimes a serious illness can be a rich and meaningful experience, especially with the help of supportive friends and family. FYI, I deleted my blog for now. I'm a witness in an upcoming trial and I can't be certain my blog won't be picked up by the media. I may be unduly paranoid, but I've been contacted by reporters several times. I hope to be back at some point, but not sure when. Thanks for asking.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home